(click image to zoom-in)
|Author: Francesco Guardi|
|Landscape, Painting, Oil on canvas, 43x61 cm|
|Origin: Italy, Between 1765 and 1775|
Master of the townscape - known as vedute in Italian - Guardi painted many views of the island of San Giorgio Maggiore in Venice. At the end of the 10th century what was to become one of the richest monasteries in Venice was founded here, but the complex was given a sense of completeness with its reconstruction by the leading 16th-century Italian architect Andrea Palladio. The Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, built according to Palladio's design , is one of his best works. Guardi shows the island from the embankment by the Doges? Palace, from where the façade of the church is best seen. The transparent sky with its light clouds almost melts on the horizon into the calm water, across which gondolas skim lightly. In the foreground to the left is the mast of a fishing boat with sails lowered, repeating the vertical of the bell tower. The whole is balanced by the high rectangular sail of another boat at the front of the painting.
|Source of entry: State Museum of New Western Art, Moscow, 1927|
Unless otherwise noted, images this web site may be used for any purpose without prior permission.
Any material in the public domain found on this web site is not protected by copyright.
We make no representations or warranties with respect to ownership of copyrights in the images, and do not represent others who may claim to be authors or owners of copyright of any of the images, and make no warranties as to the quality of the images.
We shall not be responsible for any loss or expenses resulting from the use of the images, and you release and hold us harmless from all liability arising from such use.
We do not sell art prints, framed posters or reproductions. Ads are shown only to compensate the hosting expenses.