(click image to zoom-in)
|Painting, Tempera on panel, 64.5x38.5 cm|
|Origin: Russia, Second half of the 13th - 14th century|
Painted in the second half of the 13th or early 14th century, this icon formed part of a Deesis Row - the main part of an iconostasis , expressing the idea of intercession by the saints for mankind before Christ the judge .
In this old style Deesis Row, the figures do not turn towards the central composition which would have showed Christ himself, but look out frontally into the body of the church. The icon was the work of a northern Russian master. Before it entered the Hermitage it was in the wooden Church of Elijah in Vyazentsy on the River Onega. Other icons from the same iconostasis include Christ Pantocrator, St Peter and Elijah, also now in the Hermitage.
|Personage: St Nicholas|
|Source of entry: State Hermitage Expedition, Belomorsk, 1958|
|School: North Russian Schools|
|Theme: The Bible and Christianity|
Unless otherwise noted, images this web site may be used for any purpose without prior permission.
Any material in the public domain found on this web site is not protected by copyright.
We make no representations or warranties with respect to ownership of copyrights in the images, and do not represent others who may claim to be authors or owners of copyright of any of the images, and make no warranties as to the quality of the images.
We shall not be responsible for any loss or expenses resulting from the use of the images, and you release and hold us harmless from all liability arising from such use.
We do not sell art prints, framed posters or reproductions. Ads are shown only to compensate the hosting expenses.